Thursday, February 24, 2011

favorites

it has been surprisingly still very cold here in florence. this is bad because i'm tired of wearing my heavy coat and tensing my neck and shoulder muscles every time i go outside (which is alot), but i'm happy because it means that it is still "soup weather". i love soup and making soup and eating soup and smelling soup. this is my favorite soup to make and eat right now:

lentil soup (did i mention i also love lentils)
*adapted from my friend jessica ganus's original recipe

2 yellow onions, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp oregano, dried
1/2 tsp parsley, dried
1/2 tsp garlic powder
4 cups vegetable stock
1-2 cups water
1 cup dried lentils
16 ounces crushed tomatoes, with the juice
salt and pepper to taste

saute onions and carrots in olive oil for 5 minutes. add oregano and parsley and saute until fragrant. add salt, pepper, garlic powder, stock, lentils and crushed tomatoes. stir and bring to a boil. turn down to a simmer, cover, and let simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are done.

that's it, but it warms my soul and my stomach. this is also one of the few "vegetarian" meals that my husband loves and doesn't say "but can we have some meat too".

also, peeking their little heads up outside my kitchen window are these little happy beauties:
if you know me at all, you know that flowers make me absolutely giddy. buttercups are especially exciting because they are telling me that spring is coming, and from what i've heard about tuscany in springtime, it's heavenly.

what's starting to bloom where you live?

1 comment: