when my parents came to visit us a few weeks ago and they brought me a few "real simple" magazines. my favorite recipes always come from this magazine so this week i made 2 of them, with a few revisions of course.
mushroom and gruyere tart
- added sausage (hubs needs meat)
- only put mushrooms on half (hubs doesn't totally dig 'em)
- used edamer cheese instead of gruyere (don't have gruyere here)
- used a regular yellow onion instead of a shallot (didn't feel like buying a shallot when i had plenty of good onions at home)
it was so good and i think i'm going to use puff pastry instead of pizza crust all the time (so easy and delish!!!)
of course my presentation is not as beautiful as "real simple" but it sure tasted good
asian chicken with broccoli
- didn't bread the chicken, just cooked it in olive oil first and then dumped the veggies in with it to saute (breading is too much work and i felt like you wouldn't even be able to tell in this dish)
- used broccoli instead of brussel sprouts (neither one of us like those little guys)
- added carrots (had some in the fridge that needed to be used)
- used apple cider vinegar instead of rice wine (didn't make a difference)
- didn't use sesame oil (couldn't find it here and it probably didn't matter either)
- added sesame seeds (cause they're yum)
- used chili powder instead of an actual chili pepper (didn't want to buy one)
i think my revisions make it as simple as possible because before it was pretty involved.
it was perfect for both of us who were totally craving chinese food.i will make both of these again, probably with even more variation (it's in my genes to not truly follow any recipe, thanks mom and grandmother).